Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Florals & Wovens Together, Oh My!!

Hi, all!

Are you inspired by nature around you?  Does the beautiful echinacea in the picture above make your heart beat a little faster?  Do you ever wish you could stop by the roadside to pick the wildflowers growing there?  (I have to admit, I want to do this all.the.time.)  

When Free Spirit Fabrics asked me if I wanted to play with Anna Maria Horner's new line, Floral Retrospective, combined with some of her beautiful Loominous woven fabrics, I was over the moon excited!  These fabrics are even more beautiful in person than I thought they would be - particularly the Loominous woven fabrics.  They add so much texture to my quilts, and were particularly fun to play with, especially after I decided to use spray starch to make them a little less wiggly.   I made a few pretties for me, and some for my little girlies too - do you want to see them?


We went to a local park for a photo shoot the other day - it was a fun place to spend one of the last days of summer vacation!


Here you can see Emmy's top, which is made using Raindrop Poppies in Plum.  


What a ham!  Here you can see the quilt I made, which combines both Floral Retrospective and Loominous in an interlocking pentagon star pattern.


The girls really enjoyed playing while I was taking pictures - it was hard to catch them standing still!!  Can you tell?


Here's Lilli wearing a top made using her favorite print, Social Climber in Perfume.


And one last shot of Emmy's outfit, just because I love this fabric so much!!



Emmy was totally fascinated with these little Pea Pod Pouches that I made using Overachiever in Velvet (the floral) and Dotted Line in Cobalt.  This is a fun little pouch and I can see that I will need to make a few for the littles to have - they are the perfect size for storing little treasures!


I love this pairing, too - Overachiever (the floral) matched with Crosshatch in Strawberry.  I'll be posting a tutorial for this pillow soon - it's a simple one-block top that works up in a flash!


Then I took some of the Echinacea print from the Floral Retrospective line and did some fussy cutting!  Of course, I had to take a picture next to the garden echinacea....


...but here's a better picture on my dining room table.  This was such a fun print to fussy cut, and amazingly, I had just the right shade of green, plus a bit of pink linen (from an IKEA curtain!) that matched perfectly!  I'll also be posting a tutorial for this table runner soon.  It's another quick easy project!


And of course, I couldn't pass up the chance to make a quilt with these beautiful fabrics!  I blended the Floral Retrospective fabrics with the Loominous fabrics in this quilt, which yielded some wonderful textures and a whole lot of gorgeous color!


Here you can see the pattern - interlocking stars built around a hexagon center.  I found a great pink Grunge fabric in my stash that worked really well for the few spots in the quilt that needed a background fabric.  Isn't it wonderful to find just what you need when you need it?  


So a good time was had by all, and the quilt was designated as definitely picnic-worthy!  Sunshine, happy faces and a great new line of fabric from Anna Maria Horner - 
the best of all worlds!!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Many thanks again to Free Spirit Fabrics for giving me the opportunity to play with these beautiful fabrics!  I hope you'll look for them in your LQS or on-line - I think you'll love them!!

Hugs!

Sarah

PS Be sure to come back next Wednesday when I'll resume my scrappy posts - with the beginnings of a new scrap quilt!  I hope you'll be inspired to quilt along with me!

29 comments:

  1. Oh My!!! They are all just lovely, the runners, the quilt, the gear, and the littlies!! I saved the best till last. Naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of these projects as well as the fabric you used - you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt and pillow and table runner. Yes - love when I find that perfect shade of fabric in my stash to finish a project. Love the cute tops for the girls and the wonderful day you had with all 3, for this photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty projects...that fabric is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were lucky to have you to represent their fabrics with such wonderful projects! Did you have to apply to be considered?

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the fabrics you used in their tops! My daughter was visiting last weekend and while we were walking the dogs, she was picking wildflowers. what a beautiful bouquet she arranged for me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Free Spirit was very wise in choosing you to work with their fabrics, Sarah! The kids are just gorgeous in their clothes and the quilt is drool-worthy! You definitely had fun sewing (and photographing) for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the tops you made for your girls - you did yourself proud with your showcasing of this new line of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got some great shots with the kids, and nice projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love, love that echinacea print!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've really shown off those fabrics! The girls tops are totally age appropriate, yet they look so grown up in them. Something they could wear to school or to go out to a (not fancy) restaurant. I think I might need some of this fabric now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Lilli has really grown up! How old is she? And those flower prints are amazing! No wonder you loved working with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My word, Sarah--with everything you've had going on, you got so much accomplished!
    I love AMH, and this makes me fall in love with her fabric and designs even more. Thanks for sharing your creativity, and the photos of your happy little ones. Love seeing them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've been a busy bee, as usual! Wish I could harness some of your energy! Keep up the amazing work, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such pretty fabrics, quilts, and clothing! Everything is lovely. Yes you have been busy. The girls look like they were really having fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is the Pea pod pouches a published pattern? My sister, the organized one, would enjoy a few of these. I enjoyed all the happy smiles!
    Debbie
    ollieami@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice post. Loves seeing the girls model the fabric line and the quilts. Oh, my, you have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great showing of the fabrics, they are beautiful. Love the little's tops. Did you use a pattern? If so could you share the name.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sarah, everything is gorgeous! You really rocked this line!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh!! So much pretty in one post!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Everything is so cute,especially kiddos. Forgive me ,but I keep picturing half a curtain hanging somewhere in your house.The pink did match perfectly on the table runner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That really did make me laugh out loud - but sorry to disillusion you, Cherry, it's from a curtain I bought specifically because it was linen, to put in my stash. It never hung in a window!

      Delete
  23. Your kiddos are just too cute! It's obvious that they are having a wonderful time. I've been following you for a while now, but geez, did Lilli really grow into that beautiful young lady? Her expression is priceless.
    Your work is fantastic, as always. Free Spirit knew what it was doing going to you for help. You really did rock this line, as someone said earlier. Beautiful kiddos and beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You had much more success with the Loominous wovens than I did. Sounds like starch is the key ingredient! Congrats on some really cute pieces. I especially love the back on Emmy's shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What fun you had with these fabrics! They are as beautiful as the girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. your little girls look so pretty in their tops. Ann Marie is over here for the FOQ next week so hope to see her latest fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great projects! Love the quilt you made--lets those beautiful fabrics shine! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful post!!! I just love it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!