Friday, April 21, 2017

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? A Hidden Gem...

Hi, all!

Friday is here once again, and that means it's time to get our whoop whoop on!  Are you ready?  Let's start!


This week, I've been in Perdido Key, which is near Pensacola, and I found a hidden gem here (thanks to Jan, the Colorful Fabriholic!)  that I want to share with you.  I set out on a F.A.R.T. (fabric acquisition road trip) and came across this...


...in front of a little strip center in Pensacola.  My husband was skeptical, but we stopped and headed through this door...



...and this is what I saw - your typical local mom-and-pop pharmacy.... 


...but then I turned to my left and oh what a surprise!


Crafty stuff!!!  And then entering in that side of the store, there was MORE!!!


Fabric...


... more fabric...


...LOTS more fabric...


...and quilt hanging from the ceiling!!!

The ladies who worked there said that they have over 10,000 bolts of fabric, and I believe them - everywhere I turned, there was more beautiful fabric!!  You can read more about the shop here.


And even though I need more fabric like I need a hole in the head, I did pick up some basic staples - natural colored Essex linen, a taupe Quilter's Linen, and that great black and white cross-hatch fabric - that I had run out of at home.  I could have spent hours in this store, but thankfully for my budget, my husband was with me and I kept my visit short.  But I guarantee you, this will be a shop I return to every time we come here for vacation!

The staff was awesome - friendly, helpful, and they even offered a discount to guild members!   Definitely a place you should check out if you are ever in the neighborhood.


And I've been doing some sewing this week, too - take a look at these oh-so-cute churn dash blocks I made Thursday!  And I say cute, because they are only 3" finished - so tiny!  I've still got more of these to make, but it's a start.  This will be part of my Long Time Gone quilt - pattern by Jen Kingwell.

So - - - can I get a whoop whoop?

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share - we want to dance right along with you -
And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open util Sunday midnight - 

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah



25 comments:

  1. Oh what a great story- they have fabric, and lots of it! I am still working on my Hands2Help quilt, and resting from being sick. Hope you are all having a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! what a store. I love your churn dash blocks. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FUN surprise for you! I had a similar experience in a small town DRESS shop - the store was packed with thousands of fabric bolts in a giant maze that drew me ever inward! Barely room to move, but man o man! The Fabric!!!
    Tiny churn dashes - how sweet! And you've used such pretty colours. WhooP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s not unlike the iconic Bonesteel Hardware Store in Hendersonville, NC……where Georgia Bonesteel got her start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny, it truly is a hidden gem, I guess they like locals who are in the know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't believe I've read about this store twice in a week - Molli Sparkles visited too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those little churn dashes are so cute! Wowza - that's quite the fabric store! No whoops this week, other than taking a road trip! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a surprise, 10K bolts! That's a lot of fabric! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a shop like that, in Oklahoma, just across the border from Arkansas. You can buy craft items, fabrics & notions, truck stuff, hunting gear, kitchen stuff, some foods, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you made it to A&E Pharmacy! So fun, so worth finding it. You scored some great basics. I hope you're having fun in Perdido Key! Cute mini churn dash blocks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I visited A&E about 4 years ago while staying with friends near Pensacola. Bonnie Hunter had blogged about her visit to the shop. It is an amazing place. Hope you have had a good, restful, sun filled vacation.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that looked fun...what a great surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I learned about that shop about 6 months after I vacationed at Pensacola Beach. I haven't been able to decide if it was a loss for my stash to not get there or a gain for my checkbook!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tell your husband that is a way to fool husbands who do not want to shop for fabric with their wives. When they think it is just a quick trip to the drug store... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did it again 😣 link #40. Sorry! It's too easy to hit the wrong button on my phone. I'm jealous of your vacation and that cool fabric store!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG... I could spend whole day in that shop!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My ooh's and aah's grew with every picture - what a gem of a place! There's a store like that in Sun City West AZ, though definitely not as many bolts. But still a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What more could one ask for - beautiful day, beach and fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a PLEASANT surprise!!! We have something similar in Sun City AZ called Bob's Variety, but it's not as big.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never would've thought to find fabric in a drug store! Love the churn dashes! I'm going to make a churn dash quilt soon, it's a great block, and I've never made a whole quilt using it. The ones I make will be a lot bigger than yours; or it will be a mixture where at least some of them are a lot bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Score. There is an ace hardware store in silverton oregon called hi-school pharmacy that looks just like your find. And the prices are amazing. Every time I go to Oregon I have to stop there!
    Caltexgal@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh drool drool! wow! I bet you had a huuuuge FART! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it and it is only an hour from my home. That explains why my stash is so large. They tend to have very eclectic tastes so there is generally something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Reminds me of a hardware store in New Richmond WI. They have everything- including a good fabric department- plus a pet department, dollar store department, live chicks in the spring, some groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Haha, lucky you! Reminds me of a family vacation where my mom spotted a fabric store and my dad got pulled over for trying to turn the car around so quickly. ;)

    -Kat @ SewGal.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!