Wednesday, June 8, 2016

I May Have A Scrap Problem - A Great Resource!


Hi, all!

Well, after a long weekend spent driving to and from Richmond, VA with grandkids in tow, I spent Tuesday working on a t-shirt quilt and wondering what in the world I would post on today!  


Granted, I worked on this quilt a tiny bit - adding three more log cabin blocks and two more string blocks - but it's not really moving along fast enough to be called progress, is it?

So I decided to bring an old post out of the archives - a great book I reviewed a while back that gives some new and creative ideas for dealing with scraps!  I think you'll find it a useful resource as you try to tame your scrap monster!!!


*&*&*&*&*&*&*


I've found a fun book for today, and it asks the question, "Have you met Roy G. Biv?"


Scrap Republic: 8 Quilt Projects for Those Who Love Color was written by Emily Cier in 2011.  In it, she talks about how to sort out your scraps for the projects in the book.  She also offers advice about quilting, backings, and bindings.  My favorite advice she gives, though, is related to this picture...


She makes great suggestions for changing up the patterns by changing up the basic block in various ways.  Ingenious!

From there, the book is broken down into two sections.  The first is for The Weekend Stasher, and is small and simple projects for those without much time or with a small stash of scraps.



It includes projects such as this one, done with a scrappy background and scrappy pieced circles.


For those without a big scrap stash, she also offers an alternative - what she calls Solace For The Scrapless.  It's the same quilt made with whole cloth instead of scraps.  This is offered for each quilt in the book - awesome!


And then there's the section for the rest of us - The I-Have-Nothing-To-Hide-Anymore Stasher!  One of her definitions of this quilter is "you no longer care how much fabric you've really collected and are so proud of it that no one dares to commit you to Fabric Stashers Anonymous."  That's me, for sure!


This section includes larger quilts, such as the lap size Whirl. I love this quilt for its fabulous movement!!


And then there is Pivot - another great quilt incorporating circles, but with a very different feel.


All in all, there are some great projects in this book that will help eat away at your scrap stash - and that's always a good thing!  Even if you don't make the quilts in the book, I think you would find a lot of inspiration in Emily's methods and designs.

*&*&*&*&*&*

I promise to try and get back on track next week - summer is always exciting as we try to find the new rhythm for our days!  More time with the grandkids is fun, and it makes me be more intentional about the rest of my time - and that's always good!  

See you next week with some more scrappy goodness!

Hugs!

Sarah

PS Be sure to come by on Friday - there will be another giveaway, and you won't want to miss out on this one!

13 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, I'm sure we can all relate to at least one of those categories!!! I have stash galore, not huge yardages, but small scraps, strips, squares, rectangles, mostly my fav batiks, and I can usually find enough to do a small item. What a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am considering joining Stashers Anonymous. Sigh! I find fabric that I have stashed in the oddest places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eighty percent of the quilts I make are scrappy, and I still have scraps galore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. photos of scrappy quilts are always welcome...never know who they might inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book on my shelf, thanks for refreshing my memory of its contents. I'll have to look through it again, I like what you showed of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am kind of between the "I don't have enough to be a problem" and "help...they are multiplyingwhen I am not watching" stage. It is annoying because I have enough to be noticable but not enough to make interesting tops

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice book. I like to make scrap quilts and small projects to use up all the lovies you can't throw away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always good to learn about a new book, or be reminded of a good one. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Five more blocks IS progress! Fast or slow, you are still five blocks closer to completion. I'm not generally a green person, but I am liking this quilt.☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might have to get this book. I have trouble working with my stash, because I think it's boring. This might inspire me. I like your log cabin strippy quilt. Pretty color play!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That book looks great Sarah! I love the categories Emily came up with, like "Solace for the Scrapless" and "The I-Have-Nothing-To-Hide-Anymore Stasher"! Just the glimpses of the quilts you showed look fun - but I can see right off the bat that I love them more in their scrappy versions.

    Enjoy these days with your little kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Progress is progress. It doesn't have to be fast. And, unless you took an oath to blog every single day with something new, or you get paid to produce blog content every single day, I don't think the world will come to an end nor will you lose any readers.

    Thanks for the info on the book. I don't remember hearing about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the string, log cabin you showed at the top of the post...can you keep us posted as i have a string in progress and was looking for something more interesting to add to it..and it's yours! is it from a pattern or arrange at the will of the quilter? Can you post a pic of what you think you're going for with the quilt? Many thanks.. I love my daily email feed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!