Monday, May 2, 2016

Make-A-List Monday - Welcome, May!

Hi, all!

Welcome to the first Monday in May!  I love May - spring is (usually) finally here for good, the rain dies down and the beautiful days start becoming more frequent, and it's still a comfortable temperature!  It's hard to stay inside and sew in May - I always have grand ideas about doing things in my yard, but I've learned to temper that urge with sensibility - I never buy more plants than I'm willing to plant that day!  Then I make myself actually do it until they are all in the ground, no matter how I feel... it does keep me from throwing away a bunch of dead plants that never made it out of the planting trays!  Am I alone here, or are there others out there like me?

But no matter how pretty it is outside, there's always time to sew!  Here's how last week's list progressed...

1.  Make backs for the five quilt tops for the big project.
2.  Quilt at least three of those quilts.
Done!  All five backs were completed, and I quilted
not just three, but all five of them!  Woohoo!!



3.  Finish the orange peel quilt top in time for the "I May Have A Scrap Problem" month-end post.
Done!  And not only did I finish the top, I finished quilting and binding it today!


4.  Write a post about Paducah!
Done!  You can read about our trip, and meet our newest sponsor for Hands2Help, by clicking here.

5.  Start cleaning up the house - it's even beginning to bother me! (and that's saying a lot....)
Started!  I've moved some furniture in the den while cleaning up, re-covered my rocker seat, put away a bunch of stuff cluttering up the kitchen, cleaned out more of my closet - and it all barely made a dent!  But it inspired my sweet husband to sweep and vacuum the whole house - even my sewing room!  He's a keeper!

6.  Do a little yard work... a very little...
Done - but that little bit of yard work has come in handy, as I needed fresh basil for our soup last night!  I planted two small container gardens with seven tomato plants, two eggplant plants, and five basil plants!  Yum!


7.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.
Done!  This quilt went to a gentleman diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer...



...and this one went to another man diagnosed with stage four cancer throughout his body.


This stack of eleven quilts went to our local General Hospital for use in their cancer and NICU wards...


...and this pretty bright quilt went to the new granddaughter of one of our quilt ministry members!  She was born early, but healthy and happy and beautiful!


So, all in all, a productive week!  It really feels good to mark those things off the list!  Now let's see what's on tap for this week...

1.  Photograph the quilts for the special project and prep them for delivery.

2.  Choose my goal for May's scrap challenge.

3.  Work on a quilt for a friend who is collecting auction items to benefit St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

4.  Deal with the scraps created by the flurry of finishes I've had in the last few weeks - press and put into the correct color tubs, or cut up into useful sizes!  Do. it. now!

5. Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.

It's a bit of a short list this week, but the St. Jude's quilt is a very fast turnaround and if I'm going to be able to get it done, I'll have to work on it almost exclusively.  And my niece is graduating from college this weekend, so I'll be driving to Kentucky to watch her walk.  How exciting!  But it does make for a short week...  And keep your fingers crossed for pretty weather and a great place to take photographs this week - I've got a whole lot of quilts to take pictures of!

So now the question is - - - what are YOU working on this week?

Hugs!

Sarah 

9 comments:

  1. You got a lot of quilting done this week, your list looks a little like mine with emphasis on clean the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lists are always so inspiring which makes me tend to bite off more than I can chew. This week I want to baste, quilt & bind my Scrappy Jacobs Ladder and sort & size all my scraps. It's a short list but lots of work ;-) Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me I don't know how you get so much done.you put me to shame

    ReplyDelete
  4. You amaze me I don't know how you get so much done.you put me to shame

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flowers are lovely, but, I really don't like planting them. I've taken to buying hanging baskets instead. Let someone else do the work, and I just enjoy the flowers. I won't be buying any baskets till after the middle of the month, since it's still cold here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are definitely a family that buys more plants than we can handle. And too many tomatoes always. It's so hard to find the mojo to quilt when its this muggy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ministry quilts are particularly beautiful this week! I'm sorry they are being given in such sad circumstances, though. The quilt I made for a badly injured family member was well received and cheered him up, so I'm happy about that!

    My list for this week is to finish the quilting on my second H2H quilt, Bright Bento. I'm happy with it so far, but it's a slow process for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not really a list maker but I can see how successful it seems to work for you. maybe I'll try it out?? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, you are a dynamo and never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!