Friday, March 25, 2011

Can I get a Whoop-Whoop?? When Life Hands You Lemons....!

Hi, all!!


It's Friday again - feel like whooping it up??  I certainly do - as you read this (if it's still Friday!) I'm exploring Paducah, KY!!  I've never been there before, even though it's just a few hours up the road from me, but I suppose that's good - because until about a year ago, I wasn't really a quilter!  Something tells me I'll be able to find something to do there.....  ;-)  


I've been overwhelmed this week with everyone's response to my quilt "In Winter Snows" and requests for (free) copies of the pdf pattern.  If you missed out on this, and want to get a copy, just ask for it in a comment and I'll e-mail it to you.  I'm so glad you all like it!!  Thank you for the little (*ok, huge!) boost of encouragement!!


And now, I need to tell you a little bit about my whoop whoop entry today.  One of the ladies in my sewing group, Sherry, took the directions for a sudoku quilt and started one on her own, at home.  It was her first quilt - and she didn't know yet about rotary cutters and rulers and mats, so she cut all her pieces by hand.  Remember those days?  Anyway, combine hand cut pieces and first quilting experience, and her finished nine-patch blocks were a *little* out of square.  Looking at them, we couldn't find any way to square them up without cutting off significant amounts of fabric, so we decided to trim them in a wonky style.....  and hence the title of my post today. When life hands you lemons, you make.....


...Lemonade!!!

I am absolutely in love with this "wonky" version of the traditional sudoku quilt pattern!  And I never would have thought of doing it, except that we needed to save those blocks!  And it seems only appropriate that it is made with very bright, cheerful girly prints - I just know that someday our quilt ministry will need just this quilt for a young girl who will be blessed and comforted by it!  So give a big whoop whoop to Sherry, for the lucky chance that had her first quilt become something new and exciting!!  I can't wait to see what she does for her second quilt....

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

So now it's your turn!
What crafting magic did you work this week?
Remember - it doesn't have to be a finish -
Just something you're happy with!
And you've got until Saturday night
at midnight, CST to link up - - -
So share!!

Later!

Sarah

PS - Just a reminder - please try to mention the linky party and link back to this post in your blogpost, so others can join in the fun!!

20 comments:

  1. Sarah! I'd love a copy of "In Winter Snows"! I have a D9P quilt in progress, and I was thinking it needed something, I wasn't feeling it. Then, along came your fabulous quilt! Bingo, that's what it needs. Many thanks! ~rhanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoop Whoop! to Sherry :-) That turned out fabulous, love those colors. And you're in Paducah, what fun! Hope you went to the quilt museum and, of course, Hancocks. There's a great deli downtown on the brick streets (can't recall the name). Full report when you return, please. Meanwhile, could someone please help me with my Semi-Whoop?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a fantastic solution! It made up into a very cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Lemondade! Just the right amount of sugar! I may have to do one intentionally like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is SO cute! Hope you're having a great time in Paducah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your solution that you came up with to fix the problem. Great block idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew that was going to turn into the cutiest quilt. I never received the PDF for Winter Storms unless I have overlooked it. Would you send a copy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good work Sarah! Whatcha doing in Paducah? LQS shopping maybe?? Whoop!Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quilt!! I think it actually looks better wonky than it would have looked like as a regular 9 patch. It gives it some character. Have fun in Paducah!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story! I'm not at all surprised you ended up with a beautiful quilt out of a challenge like that. I'd also love a copy of the "In Winter Snows" pattern, which I somehow must have missed earlier.

    I linked up to the finished pillow project I posted in progress a few Fridays ago - the one with the Quilter's Grid...I love how it turned out. Thanks so much for your encouragement! (ps. I blogged about your linky party in a separate post just now)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a wonderful quilt. I am sure that it made her happy that it turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I domlike your quilt "In winter snows" Please send me the free PDF file of the pattern
    thanks
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would like a pdf of your "winter snows" thank you. Also like the wonky sudoku pattern, it's very pretty. I'm working on an applique BOM, and I'm behind, so have to get to it. Have fun on your trip, hit some of those quilt stores while you're there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lemonade is so cute and what a great recovery...I think it turned out great and will make someone very happy. Great job, Sherry! Keep it up, girl!

    I want to go to Paducah sometime. I haven't been yet and that is on my short list of places to see. My husband says we can go as he wants to see a quilt there in the museum. It's the Airplane quilt by Jonathan Shannon. We saw it years ago at the Dallas Quilt Show and I've heard that it is there. Do look for it. It is amazing. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhhhhh, I love that Winter Snows quilt & I'd be sooo honored if you could find a moment to shoot me the pattern - I just bought 4 yards of white on white, holly leaves & vines today, and haven't a clue what to do with it...it just talked to me!

    Those wonky lemonade patches are absolutely adorable, and I'm so glad you were able to turn what could have been a disaster into such a fun & lively quilt! I know she's gotta be proud of it!

    I made a tote bag/laptop bag for my grandson's teacher this week....figured out how to make an inner pocket with a zipper & a secret pocket behind it, then put a bunch of little pockets on the other side of the inner lining....and then, to top it all off, made a whole row of pockets around the outside, with a very professional looking flower-power print. Oh, I forgot to say the inside is all elementary-school ABC's & crayons, since she's a grade school teacher. So...we have professional lady on the outside, fun teacher on the inside. Now, if I could just figure out how to get you some pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I LOVE the lemonade you ladies came up with !! I made 2 tote bags , my first , and of course sewed the straps on wrong , but they will work out ok ..... Next I'm working my way up to another tote and my first purse . For some reason I think I can't make a purse ; come on , I've been sewing for more than 40 years ; what's up with that :?? thanks for your quilt directions and all the help and inspiration you give me ; I'm glad I met you in blog - land !! I did not know you've only been quilting for a year ; I started last June ( I never thought I could make a quilt either , same thinking process as with the purses and bags ..... )

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would appreciate the PDF instructions for the Winter Snow D9P quilt. I'm in the process of finishing my first D9P quilt all in blues which will be another donation quilt to a program for foster children in our area.
    Thank you,
    Yvonne
    QuiltGrama@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm late checking in and would love a pdf of your Winter quilt. My email is debgiro at wildblue dot net. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your friends 'Lemonade' quilt. Looks like she planned it that way. I'd love a pdf of you quilt pattern. I have lots of Christmas (and other) fabrics in my stash that need to be used up, and this looks like a very nice way to do that. I could also use it for Quilts of Valor quilts, if you don't mind. We are always looking for new patterns for quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great quilt. I would love to make some to give as Christmas gifts. Could you please send me a copy of the free pattern

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!